Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Shut up and pass the Advil.

I went to my first session with a trainer at the gym on Friday, and met with a very pleasant, friendly, tiny, little woman who demonstrated how to set up each of the machines, and then supervised me doing a set of 8 reps on each one. She advised me to drink some water and eat a snack with protein in it within the next 45 minutes after I left, and I went home feeling pretty good, but not as if I would be sore the next day.

Fast forward to this afternoon, when I went back for a second session, and met another trainer. Today’s trainer was older, but also tiny – neither of the trainers that I’ve met was any bigger than a Keebler elf!

Today’s trainer was also very nice, but she said she likes to see more reps on each machine, and she added one more machine, too. She was pleasant and friendly, and in her pleasant friendly way she almost killed me! It was good, though. I was glad to have someone push me, but oooh, I can already feel some of my muscles aching.

I went from the gym to a doctor appointment, because my doctor likes to have me come in and get scolded about my cholesterol and whatnot every once in a while. The drive to the doctor’s office takes about 30 minutes of driving through the country, and it was a beautiful day for it. I had my bottle of water and my (overpriced) protein bar, and a Queen CD that I liberated from Kim’s car – her friend Catsy is always burning CDs for Kim that Kim doesn’t listen to – and the sun was shining on the cornfields. It looked like a postcard, Diana!

Rachel called me as I was driving, to see if I would come over and sit with Maddy when I got back so that she and Ash could go to the Y, and I was happy to do that! So after my appointment, I drove back through the sunny cornfields, singing along with the CD, and went to play with Maddy. She was in a lovely mood, and looked so happy to see me! Maddy is so friendly and she never questions me about my cholesterol or scolds me for not using my inhaler, like her mother and my doctor do!

So that was all very fine, but then later I took a nap before work, and when I woke up, I felt a little sore and stiff. I took some ibuprophen when I got to work. By the way, not only am I slightly sore in the muscles I used at the gym, but my rib muscles (?) hurt because even though I am over the cold I had last weekend, I have been coughing my lungs out ever since! Ow sweetie, ow dahling!

4 comments :

  1. Yay for you going and working out.
    And YAY that it's starting to look like spring out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it does look like a picture postcard, dahling! everywhere you turn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's snowing here. I hate that you are having spring-like conditions while we get snow for the 246th time this winter. But hey, look at you getting a trainer. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How are you doing with the personal trainer? We need an update! ~~Kathy~~

    ReplyDelete