Wednesday, December 15, 2010

In which there is cake and my phone gets all sticky.

Oh man, I ate so much cake! Rachel made a beautiful layer cake, chocolate cake with chocolate frosting and served a huge piece to me on a plate that had been drizzled with raspberry syrup, and I ate the whole big piece! It was really good, but I think I will never be able to eat cake again.

She made the cake because Rich told me tonight as we were leaving the house how much he wanted to eat some cake, and I ran back and grabbed a can of Hershey's cocoa to take to Rachel's with me. I checked the back of the can, and yes, there it was, the recipe for chocolate cake, and for chocolate frosting!

Rich dropped me off at Rachel's, carrying my can of cocoa and also bearing a bowl of quinoa salad. Rachel and Ash are making an effort to have dinner every night, sitting down at the table, and this was day one of that new plan. They grilled chicken, made rice, and salad, and I brought the quinoa salad I made - it was a wonderful dinner.

Then I played with the baby while Rachel made cake. I had a lovely time, and the baby was so much fun! She did get my phone all ooky, and I just had to clean it up because the keys were too goobery. Yuck.

So that was my night, and Rachel sent home a huge slab of cake for Rich. He was very grateful and enjoyed it muchly.

What I'm thankful for today: I'm so glad that I finished my class last week so that I am unencumbered by finals this week and can be free to talk everyone else off the ledge while they finish their finals!

What I'm reading today: I just got Making Money by Terry Pratchett from the library today and brought it to work to read. Also, I'm in the middle of What the Dickens, by Gregory MacGuire, and my bedtime reading is The Shortest Way to Hades by Sarah Caudwell.

What I'm knitting today: Still working on the first sock of a pair of man's grey socks. Men's feet are so big! It takes forever to finish the foot!

When I'm going to put up my Christmas tree: When Kim gets home from college, and not a minute before, and I consider the week before Christmas to be still a bit too early! When I was a kid, my parents put the tree up on Christmas eve after we were in bed, and that is, in my opinion, the perfect time! When we got married and Rich wanted to put up the tree two weeks before Christmas, I was shocked! I have compromised through the years, but a week before Christmas is as early as I can go with it, and it comes down on New Year's Day! (I will probably buy the tree tomorrow, though.)

2 comments :

  1. my father wouldn't let us put up the tree until 2 weeks before and I secretly thought he was a monster for making us wait - either that or it was my mother's idea and she was passively blaming it on my father - who knows? I put mine up the first few days of December because I love love love the twinkle lights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was a kid, Mom always made us wait to put up the tree until the Monday before Christmas, so I'm sorry that you didn't get it until Christmas Eve. She still insisted it come down on New Year's Day. I don't understand these stringent rules or where they came from. I think it's made you stingy with the tree. I like to get my tree and decorate it whenever I feel like it and leave it up until I get around to taking it down. It just makes the house feel cozy to have the lights low, the tree lit, and a fire in the fireplace.

    ReplyDelete