Tuesday, July 5, 2011

In which Maddy has a lot of teeth and she knows how to use them.

I wasn't going to go to Knit Night because for the last two weeks it has been so crowded, and when there are too many people it isn't as much fun. It's just too big a crowd and then someone brings three little girls with her, and one of them eats a lot of sugar cubes from the coffee table, and gets a little too energetic, but it wouldn't be a problem (because she's not my kid) except the group is just too big.

So tonight I was thinking of not going, except that it really is nice to go sit and knit with everyone. Rich wanted to go to the movies to see Green Lantern, and I thought about going, but then Laura came over and we both almost swayed over to the idea of going to the movie and at the last minute, decided to go to the yarn shop instead.

It turned out to be a good night! There was about half the amount of people that were there last Tuesday, although the Annoying One was there, but when she was really shooting her mouth off, I ignored her (Personal Growth moment!) and texted a message to Laura's sister, instead of thinking about how very annoying the Annoying One is. And I was glad I went.

What I'm knitting today:

I finished a very cute little short-sleeved shrug for Maddy to wear with her black tutu. It was small and easy to make, and it took less than one skein of a random fuschia-colored wool I bought off of the sale table at the yarn shop. That pattern was fun and went fast (because of its small size, and also because it was knitted from the top down, my favorite way), so I bought another pattern from that website, Knitting Pure and Simple, and I started a hooded sweater for Carl. I think I will probably make one for Soren, too.

What I bought at a garage sale today:

I don't usually go to garage sales, ever! because I have plenty of stuff of my own, thanks, but today Rachel and I were out in the car and drove by a garage sale that had a little dog on wheels for a toddler to ride on, and we stopped to try it out for Maddy. It was just the right size for her, and then the guy who was running the sale brought out another little scooter for her to try, so we bought both of them.

We took the scooters back to my house and taught her how to sit on them and walk her feet to move them and also how to say "Wheee!" when she rides! She thought it was good entertainment, and Rachel took one of them home and we kept one at my house.

Why Maddy's breath smells like dog food:

I'm sure you can guess why Maddy has Alpo breath, but here's the other thing that she tried to eat - stitch markers! She snatched one and shoved it in her mouth, and then grabbed the other one in her pudgy fist! They are small rings of rubber, and it wouldn't hurt her to swallow one, but dammit, I wanted my stitch markers back!

It was easy enough to pry the one out of her hand, but Maddy has a mouthful of teeth like a shark, so you have to be pretty brave to go in there after something. I tried holding her upside down and shaking gently to make her laugh, hoping the stitch marker would fall out, but she was determined to keep it in her mouth.

Finally I cowboyed up and put my finger in her mouth and she bit down on it, but I didn't yank my hand away - I felt around and got that marker out of her mouth! I had a deep dent on the top and bottom of my finger where she sunk her little chompers in! Tonight there is still a faint pink mark, but I got my markers back, so I win!

No comments :

Post a Comment