Wednesday, May 31, 2017

It's like a nightmare and I can't wake up.

Original date of this post is May 31, 2017


So Scott fell off the ladder on Saturday about noon, and here we are 4 days later, and he's in the ICU at the hospital in Rockford. We go there every day, sometimes Carolyn goes more than once, and we're trying to hold it together, and we're praying for a miracle. And we're waiting. It's horrible. I hate waiting under the best of circumstances and this is so far from the best, you can't even see the best with binoculars.


And now it is today, September 24, 2017.

It's been four months since Scott's accident, and I said right from the start that I was going to pray for a miracle, and that we would have a miracle, and that is totally what we got. We had people all over the world praying for Scott's recovery, and after two months in three hospitals, he has had an almost complete recovery, and we are fully expecting the recovery to go on until he is completely Scott again.

He's got a plate in his head where a piece of his skull had to be removed to allow for the brain to swell, and to drain the blood from the intracranial bleed. He had a Pneumothorax caused by a broken rib, he had tubes here, there and everywhere, and he spent several weeks unable to communicate. Now he is doing beautifully, and he is expecting to go back to work at his same job at the beginning of November. He is going to be able to drive again in another week, and he's looking forward to that. His speech is good, but he has some minor memory gaps, and sometimes his thinking goes way out into some weirdnesses, but he is still recovering, and he will continue to improve.

In other news:

Maddy is going to public school instead of home-schooling with Carolyn and the boys. Back in the summer when we didn't know how Scott would be doing in the Fall, Rachel decided it would take some of the burden off of Carolyn if Maddy went to public school. Ash started working full-time with Rich, and Maddy needed some kind of day care during the summer, so we enrolled her in the Discovery Day Camp at the YMCA. She enjoyed it and is looking forward to going back next summer. She enjoyed it so much that Carl and Soren wished they could go to Day Camp, too! When it was almost time for school to start, Scott was home from the hospital, but it still seemed like a good idea for Maddy to not be in home-school, so that things would be easier for Carolyn. So we shopped for uniforms and school supplies, and Maddy is enrolled in her neighborhood elementary school, in the Second grade! It's going well so far.

Last week we started noticing that we had a lot of wasps around the dining room windows, and also they were sneaking into the house, so Rich has tried spraying them with wasp killer, but it's not working enough! We have an exterminator coming on Tuesday. I can't wait, because it's just getting so waspy at my house! Today after church I came home and there were at least 10 of them in the kitchen, flying around the sink and harassing me! I killed about 10 of them, and then took my sandwich upstairs to eat in my bedroom with the door closed. There were four dead wasps on the floor by the stairs, so I had to clean those up before I went upstairs. Eek!

What else is going on? Well, we finally had air-conditioning installed in our hundred-year-old house, and that is just lovely. Rich still grumbles that we don't need it, but he turns it on sometimes, too.

We got a kitten to be a companion to the dog, but the kitten is so shy that we've hardly seen her since we brought her home three weeks ago. She is starting to allow me to see her around feeding time, so eventually she will probably be a normal pet. Rich says she's defective.

What I'm knitting today? It's hats and mittens for schoolchildren again. I made a LOT of hats and mittens last year and gave them to my friend Shelley to take to the elementary school where she works, to give to kids who needed them. This year I'm planning to takea bagful of them to the school Maddy attends.

What I'm reading today? I'm not sure yet. I finished a pretty good book yesterday called Between a Rock and a Hard Place, by Marty Wingate. It was a cozy mystery with a lot of gardening and botany in it. I really enjoyed it. I haven't decided on my next book, but I'll find something tonight and report back on it later.




No comments :

Post a Comment