Tuesday, May 30, 2017

While You Were Sleeping

So Saturday morning at 7 a.m., Rachel dropped off Maddy to visit me for a couple of hours so she and Ash could do a 5K run/walk. Maddy and I watched some cartoons and nibbled a little bit of breakfast, and then her mom and dad came back and we all went out for a real breakfast at a restaurant. Rachel and Ash needed to eat after their athletic activity and Maddy and I just wanted some bacon!

I went back home after that, and then Scott and Ash showed up to borrow the expanding ladder out of the garage so Scott could take out his storm windows, and they noticed the box by the front door containing the parts for a bidet that I ordered from Amazon, and they decided that would be a brisk little job, so they went upstairs and installed the bidet attachment to my toilet in less than 30 minutes, then they took the ladder and left.

I went upstairs to admire my bidet and try it out (cold water! Wooo!) and then I gave the toilet a good scrubbing, using a pumice stone on the hard water stains, and was giving it a final rinse, when my phone rang. I rinsed my hands and answered the phone call, and it was Carolyn's mother. She said that Scott had fallen off of the ladder while taking out storm windows and was on his way to the hospital by ambulance! What?!? He was just here! Installing stuff!

I grabbed my purse and was out the door before I even hung up the phone, and as I drove the hospital, which is about 4 blocks down my street, Rachel called. She said what they needed me to do was to go to the house to stay with the kids, while she and Ash went to meet Carolyn at the hospital. She said she'd been trying to call someone to help Ash give Scott a priesthood blessing, but no one was home, and who could she call? I told her to call Brother McDonald, who is the father of Scott's best friend from school, and then I drove past the hospital and on toward Scott's house.

When I was at the corner stoplight, I saw the ambulance coming wailing up the street, lights flashing, and oh my goodness, it was horrible! I called Rich from my cell phone (he had gone in to work for a half-day), and I couldn't even talk. I said, "Rich! Rich! Rich! Rich!" and finally I was able to tell him what was happening, and he said he was leaving right away!

I went to Scott's house, and Rachel was still there. She had sent Ash ahead to meet Bro. McDonald at the hospital, so they could get to Scott as soon as they could. She said that the boys were next door at the neighbor's house, and then she left, and Maddy stayed there with me. I walked next door, but they don't speak English, and the father of the family and the grandfather were sitting on the front steps looking grim. They gestured for me to go in, and the kids were in the house watching cartoons in the living room with the two little boys that live there. The children's grandma came out from the kitchen and indicated that she was going to feed the kids lunch, so it must have been right around noon when this all happened. I nodded yes, they could stay to eat, and I told the boys to come to Maddy's house after lunch.

So Maddy and I went back to her house, and she played a video game, and I sat in the big chair, texting people and freaking out. Rachel called and said that Scott was going to a hospital in Rockford by helicopter, and that she and Ash and Rich were going to take Carolyn to Rockford in their car. Rich was going with them so there would be two priesthood holders there in case they needed to give him another blessing. Carolyn's mother called and said they were going to drive here from where they live, and would be here in about 9 hours, and I was so glad to hear it, because we needed more adults to take care of the kids, and also her dad is a doctor and her mom is a nurse, and they would be able to help us understand what was going on, as well as being here to comfort Carolyn.

So the boys came to Maddy's house after lunch, all of them barefoot, and they watched Maddy play a video game and I continued to monitor the phone as they reported from the hospital that Scott was going to surgery to relieve the pressure on his brain from the bleeding inside his skull, and OMG, I can't even tell you how horrible it all was! I have to take a break here.

No comments :

Post a Comment