Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Better living through pharmaceuticals

I have a headache, and I took two Advil and a Tylenol as soon as I got to work. I think I have to much blood in my caffeine system. I ran out of Diet Pepsi today and I didn't go to the store because RA is out of town so I never left the house except to take a walk with Rondee tonight. I'm going to have to go shopping tomorrow.

I need to go to the store anyway to get a few groceries so I can feed Sarah and Chris when they get here on Thursday. I'm very excited to see them, and I want to make lasagna, because who doesn't like lasagna? and also roasted cauliflower, because I want Sarah to try it.

I slept until 3 this afternoon, and when I got up, there was nothing to get dressed for, so I sat in front of the computer, playing Solitaire on Facebook in my nightgown and talking on the phone until 6, when I forced myself to get dressed and started cleaning up the yarn room so that company can sleep there this week.

I have had two big plastic storage boxes with lids sitting in the hall for a week, that were bought especially for this purpose, and I've been throwing stray bags and balls of yarn into them as I find them. So I took the big boxes into the yarn room, and started opening the bags of yarn that I bought here and there over the last few months, and separating them into 1. a box of good sock yarns, i.e. hand-dyed or otherwise special (Harry Potter colors of Opal) and 2. a box of Cascade 220, some Brown Sheep, and a couple of other nice wools, and 3. an empty Xerox paper box that I filled with lesser sock yarns - cheaper stuff that I don't love, or odd balls that aren't quite enough to make a pair of socks.

When I had emptied all of the shopping bags and a couple of odd boxes, I moved the 3 boxes out into the hall, and, sweating madly, turned to look back at the yarn room, expecting to feel a sense of satisfaction. What I actually felt was sad and discouraged because the room? It looked like I hadn't even touched it! In fact, I had to go back in to move a couple of boxes out of the middle of the floor, because that room is the gateway to Rich's office and he complains if he can't walk through it because the path is blocked by boxes of yarn, the whiner.

So tomorrow I will have to go back into the yarn room, prepared to move more yarn out of the piles of boxes and baskets, and condense it into a couple of those big plastic storage containers that are only half full. If I can at least get the surface of the bed cleared, that will be good progress, and then Thursday I can change the sheets and shove all the knitting magazines and pattern books under the bed - they're sticking out a little now because I was rooting through them last week, looking for a pattern.

I left the three full boxes in the hall, and staggered downstairs to put on socks and shoes. One of the phone calls I made while I was sitting on my butt at the desk all day was to Rondee, to see if she wanted to go for a walk. I thought it would make up for all the laziness if I did one exersize-y thing.

I'm so glad that Rondee lives on my street! She wants to walk about as often as I do, that is to say, not as often as we should! She also has things to talk about, so it's entertaining to walk with her. She reads, too, so we can share books, and after the walk tonight, we searched all the book piles in my house for a book she wants to read, because I was sure we had it, but apparently we don't, because we couldn't find it anywhere. I asked Rich when he got home, and he says he doesn't think we ever had it, and maybe he's right, because I was looking for the same book a couple of weeks ago and didn't find it, but I thought I remembered buying it.

So here I am at work, and I've got a sock to knit - sock #2 of the sage socks for Becky - and a book to read, The Sari Shop Widow, on my Kindle. Also some work to do, but who wants to hear about that? Nobody.

2 comments :

  1. Yay!!! you're working on my socks!

    I would like some Lasagna too, if you wouldn't mind sending that along as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I worry that you will trip and fall in the yarn room and become buried with no oned ever finding you. Only thinking that you had finally run off to Europe to pursue your writing career.

    ReplyDelete