Thursday, September 3, 2009

Gotta get out of Cape Cod tonight

So, nothing going on here. Kim the overachiever is so busy with homework that she barely has time to talk, and anyway, she has nothing to talk about because she is studying all the time. Rachel is working, sleeping, and doing things with Ash, and Scott and Carolyn have a new baby and a smart cute busy boy, and they live too far away, so nothing is going on, nothing I tell you!

What I'm reading tonight:

Tonight I am reading Twelve Sharp by Janet Evanovich, and last night I read a book that was the story of how Facebook was invented, which was interesting, but I can't remember the title right now. I downloaded two books for my Kindle, but I haven't started reading either of them, because Twelve Sharp is comfortably entertaining, and it's getting me through another boring night at work.

What I'm knitting tonight:

Sock #1 of a pair for Becky, that I'm trading to her for something she makes. I'm using some sage/mossy green Opal and my usual pattern of 3X1 rib. Very relaxing to work on while I read.

Really, I just have nothing to tell. Nothing is going on at my house because I am so boring, and the most thrilling thing I did today was to strip my bed and remake it with clean sheets. When Kim is gone, I don't have as much laundry, and I needed the sheets to make a full load so I could wash Rich's karate clothes.

Rich followed me upstairs when I went up to make the bed, and offered to help. It really does go faster when two people make the bed, because it's big, and I am short and I have to run around from one side to another, tucking things in, when I'm by myself. So fine, he is welcome to help, but he says there are too many rules - that he didn't know bedmaking was so complicated!

It's not complicated, it's just that I like it done a certain way, and I never give it a thought when I'm making a bed by myself, I just know how I like to do it, and I do it! But when someone is helping, I have to explain it as we go, because Some People will just throw on the sheets and blankets any old way!

I like the tags on things like the mattress pad and the blanket to be at the foot of the bed, on the side farthest from the door, because tags are unattractive and I don't want them to show. I like the top sheet to go on with the right side down, so that when the sheet is folded back, the right side is up.

Also, the pillows? We have 7 or 8 of them, because we like to read in bed, and you need a lot of pillows to sit up comfortably, and some of them will have shams, and some of them are old flat pillows, and I know which pillowcases go where, not that it's an exact science, but I'm a little pickier about it than Rich, who would sleep rolled up in a blanket on a naked mattress if he didn't have me there to civilize him.

So yeah, we made the bed, and later when I took a nap before work, it was lovely to lay down on clean sheets. Ahhh.

3 comments :

  1. I think one of TJ's least favorite things about me is that I don't make the bed. I'm not even sure my kids know how to really make a bed, just change the fitted sheet, pillowcases and throw the flat sheet on. I'm of the philosphy that you're just going to mess it up when you get in it at night...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We share a lot of the same views on bed making. I'm pixkiy when putting clean sheets on but after the initial making the perfect bed I take on Diana's philosophy and never make my bed until the next time I put clean sheets on. When Kelly was alive i HAD to make the bed everyday because he was so anal about it. But now that I'm alone and the only one that sees it I can do it my way(isn't that a Frank sonatra song??)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the same way. I only make the bed that first time, when putting on the clean sheets, but after that I don't bother.

    ReplyDelete