Monday, April 12, 2010



I’m posting the picture of a gnome that Karin knitted for me because a couple of people wanted to see it, and also, Wendy is making one. My gnome’s name is Rusty Thistledown, and is he not darling? Karin, if you see this, leave a note in the comments about what you used to keep his hat standing up – hairspray or fabric starch?

Rachel and I went to the local Fiber Festival today! It was a beautiful sunny day, not too windy, and not too hot. We took Maddy with us and she rode around in her stroller, being admired, which is just what she likes! We went with a plan to not spend too much, and we did okay, just buying some sock yarn from two of the vendors and some needles that we didn’t need. I brought a skein of yarn with me to work tonight and wound it into a ball, but when I cast on with the new bamboo needles, I was a bit disappointed. They aren’t smooth enough, so the knitting drags. I like my wooden Harmony needles from Knitpicks much better, and fortunately I have a set of size 1s in my purse!

I’m at work tonight, with my beautiful sock yarn and a library book, so it will be a nice night. When I got to work tonight, Lana told me there was a wedding in the hospital cafeteria earlier! So that explains the group we saw when Rachel and I took Maddy for a walk after dinner – as we passed the hospital, we saw a woman in what we guessed was a bridesmaid dress, and two men in tuxedos, standing on the sidewalk across the street from the hospital, smoking cigarettes. We thought they must be going to a wedding, but it never crossed my mind that it would be at the hospital. How funny. The bridesmaid dress was great, by the way, it was chocolate brown in a great silky fabric with a cream-colored sash. Darn, I should have taken a picture for Diana!

What I’m reading today:

Actually it was last week, but I read a great book called The Reformed Vampire Support Group. It was so good that I read it twice! The vampires aren’t glamorous or charismatic, they are a bunch of whiners, who have been meeting every Thursday for years for group therapy. One of them is killed by a slayer, and the rest of them have to work together to find the killer before he kills one of them. It is funny in a dry way, my favorite kind of funny, and I love the characters.

Yesterday I read The Broken Teaglass, and that was another book I liked a lot. I like learning about how people do their jobs, and the main character of the story works as a lexicographer – he defines words for the dictionary.


What I’m watching today:

I should say what I’m not watching today, because I got Zombieland from Netflix, and I was told that the first few minutes were gory but then it would be funny. I don’t know about the funny, because I was trying not to watch the first few minutes, but ugh. I couldn’t do it. I wanted to watch it because of Jesse Eisenb@rg, since I liked him a lot in Adventureland. That movie also had Kristen Stew@rt from the Tw***ght movies, and I think she’s a pretty girl, but she only has two expressions, pained and seriously pained.

That's all the news for now.

4 comments :

  1. pained and seriously pained - you slay me

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so true about the limited expressions! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who can see it. As for the gnome, I didn't use anything on his hat to make it stand up. I used Caron Simply Soft yarn to knit him in, and it's stiff enough that the hat can be manipulated without any hairspray. Plus hairspray doesn't really stick to acrylic very well. Also, I don't stuff my gnome hats, just sew them straight to the head as is. I think it gives them a rustic look. Happy gnome knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Karin! I'm using a 100% wool, and it was recommended to use fabric stiffener by a friend. When I get the hat finished, we'll see how stiff it knits up.
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. RT is toooooooooo cute for words. Audrey you could start a gnome knitting society!! Love it and I see that Kim is looking on approvingly. =^..^=

    ReplyDelete