Saturday, May 15, 2010

If you drive too fast in the country, maybe it makes the cows nervous.

When I got home from work this morning, Rich was sitting up in our bed with Maddy, giving her a bottle. They were watching TV, turned to the Food Network, and he asked me if I'd ever seen this show before, Almost Homemade? I said rolled my eyes and said yes, if he meant Semi-Homemade, and I went on to tell him that every desert she makes starts with half a container of Cool Whip, and that she always makes a fancy cocktail to go with the meal and also presents a creative 'tablescape'. I pointed out that she wears a lot of white or light colors to cook in, too, and how impractical that is - and she was making a desert with raspberry sauce at that moment - you know that's gonna stain! Rich just nodded and watched, captivated by her tall skinny blondeness. Ass.

So we played on the bed with Maddy for a while and then she and Poppa went downstairs to wait for Rachel to get home from work, and I settled down in the bed to finish reading a chapter of a book and do the binding off of the Baby Surprise Sweater I've been making for a friend's grandbaby. I tried it on Maddy, holding the unfinished seams closed, and it was a beautiful fit, so I'm going to make another one for her! It was really fun to work on, and I'm ignoring a couple of more urgent projects so I can have fun with this one.

When I woke up in the afternoon, Rachel had texted me to see if I wanted to go visit a friend of hers who hasn't met Maddy yet. Rachel was really tired and had not had enough sleep, but she isn't working tonight, so she'll catch up. I went with her for the long drive through pretty country to her friend Kat's house, but we never made it there. We haven't been out there in a while, so Rachel went the wrong way, and we were just pulling out the GPS to find the right way, when we got pulled over by a cop in a polo shirt (is that your uniform? really?), who gave her not a ticket, but a village citation for speeding. Apparently we were going 40 as we passed an area that was posted at 30, but when we pulled over, we were right under a sign that said 55. Okay whatever.

After that Rachel was not only still tired, but disgusted, so we headed back home, where Kim had been cleaning the floors! She had done a beautiful thorough job, and they looked good! She had also taken two more boxes of her stuff up to her room!

Rachel went up to take a nap, and the rest of us played with Maddy so she could rest. While she was sleeping, RA called and I went out with her to get a pop and do a couple of little errands. By the time we got back, Rich had fed the baby a bottle and she was sleeping on his lap, and Kim was settled on the couch with her DS. It was a lovely scene to come home to.

I made a broccoli salad to go with some leftover spaghetti, and after we ate, Kim and I took the two-mile walk (we cut through the cemetary, but it was still light!), and Rachel, who was awake by then, stayed home to watch Dr. Who with Maddy and Rich.

So that was my day and I'm back at work tonight with a skein of yarn to wind for another Baby Surprise Sweater. Oh, I almost forgot to mention this, but I called the number you're supposed to call the night before you go to jury duty, just to see if there was a message yet, and found out that my group's case has been postponed! What's better than that? Not much!

2 comments :

  1. I have never heard of a village citation and I KNOW Rachel has a nice enough rack so why the ticket??? I also love that you have URGENT knitting projects. Very good entry cuz.

    ReplyDelete