Tuesday, May 4, 2010

In which creepy squirrels can no longer spy on me.

We have an ancient pine tree in our front yard, next to the neighbor's driveway. In the last couple of big storms it has lost branches, dropping them onto that driveway and the second time, a visitor's car got scratched. We decided we'd better do something about that tree before any real damage was done, so we called a Tree Guy.

The Tree Guy recommended that we take some of the biggest branches off of the Locust tree in the back yard, and trim off some branches that were laying on the garage roof from another Cedar next to the garage, as well as cut down the big Cedar in the front yard. He said he would cut up the Locust for firewood, because it's a hard wood that burns well, but the Cedars were too full of sap to burn in a fireplace, so he was going to chip those up.

So this morning when I got home from work, I took two Tylenol PM instead of my usual one, so that I could sleep through whatever noise he made. Good thing I did, and even so, I kept waking up because of the noise! When I finally dragged out of bed this afternoon all was quiet and he was long gone. He had left the firewood stacked neatly next to the garage, and the only other sign that anything was changed was the big stump in the front yard.

That big Cedar tree stood right outside the window of the den, and when I am at my desk, I often look out that window and see a squirrel sitting in that tree, staring in at me, which is creepy. I won't miss that!

I wrote an email to my neighbor and told her we were going to set up a tableaux with Garden Gnomes on the big stump next to her driveway. I'm sure she thinks I'm kidding. Who knows where I can buy some gnomes?

Rich went to TaeKwonDo early tonight, for some special black belt training thing, and I sat in the den and read journals on the internet while winding a skein of sock yarn that I bought at the fiber fair last month. I'm going to knit a pair of wool socks for RA's insane sister, who is always cold, even though she lives in Arizona! RA doesn't knit, but she buys the wool for me to knit socks for her family members.

What I'm reading tonight:

The Other Side of the Story by Marian Keyes. I love her books. If only they had some murder in them, they would be perfect.

What I'm cooking tonight:

I made a recipe that I got from Carolyn for Broiled Tilapia Parmesan. When Scott and Carolyn were visiting in March, she made this for me, and it was so good! I took some to RA tonight so she could try it, too. It's fast and easy, but it does take a few spice cupboard ingredients that I don't usually have, like onion powder and celery salt. I just left those out this time, and I'll buy some when I go shopping, because I will definately make this recipe again!

2 comments :

  1. So ... what is good about Marian Keyes if it is not murder?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, that's what I want to know, I can't believe you're recommending a book with no dead bodies in it.

    ReplyDelete