Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving

We went to Rachel's and had a wonderful dinner there. She made homemade rolls! With butter! She made Mexican Wedding cakes!! She made some delicious stuffing in the crockpot, with pork sausage and cranberries! She made some Brie in a crust with carmelized onions! She did some amazing cooking!

I made the mashed potatoes, and it was a really good batch. I made polenta and squash casserole, too, which is just mashed winter squash cooked into corn meal mush along with a big handful of parmesan cheese! I love that, and so did Maddy.

Then Ash went outside and deep-fried the turkey and it was fantastic! I've never had the turkey cooked that way before and it was so good! It only took an hour to cook once the oil got hot enough, but Ash had to sit outside and keep an eye on the fryer the whole time, and it was really cold! He was wearing gloves, a scarf, and a hat, his winter coat, and had a thermos of hot cocoa! (No one went outside to keep him company - it was freezing!)

Maddy nibbled along with us all day, and she never got her afternoon nap, but she was having a nice time playing and crawling around. She finally got so tired that Rachel put her in bed for a late nap, and she woke up again in about an hour. Rachel said Maddy was furious when she saw that all the company had gone home and the fun was over! She didn't go back to sleep until after midnight, just to punish her parents.

After dinner, we all felt so sleepy, you know how it is after turkey dinner. Ash took a nap in the bedroom and the rest of us sat on the couch and watched Kim play a video game, and talked about how sleepy we were. It was lovely and peaceful. I love to watch my kids play video games while I knit, especially Mario games, and the one Kim was playing is one of my favorites. (I don't know which one it is, either Mario 64 or Mario World. I think it was Mario 64.)

It's only 24 degrees outside today!

1 comment :