Monday, August 29, 2011

I'm lagging behind already!

Diana just took the 30 Days of Shamelessness challenge and ran with it, and I'm limping along behind her, trying to catch up!

This, therefore, will be my catching up post!

Day 2 - Look Like a Fool

This is not a problem for me, as I have many opportunities to look like a fool, and I just have to pick one. Let me tell you about my yoga class...

It was Laura's idea to take the yoga class a few weeks ago, and I have always wanted to try yoga, so I happily signed up to do it with her, and then I mentioned it to Shelley, who said she wanted to do it, too, so we all did a six week yoga class this summer. It was so much fun, and we went once a week, but we really wanted to go more often - like every day!

Rachel had to work most of the days of class, but she went with us a couple of times and she liked it too, and when Carolyn was visiting, she went, too. Everybody liked yoga!

Fast forward to this session, and Laura and I were not going to be able to go to yoga class because we had microbiology on that night, but then I dropped that class, because people, I am so not going to be a nurse. I like it in theory, but when it comes down to taking care of actual sick people? No, thank you.

Once I had dropped micro, that freed up my life a lot, and I signed up to take yoga two nights a week for six weeks!

So tonight was the first night of yoga. Rachel and I went in and parked our mats, and the woman next to me introduced herself and made some little conversation, and then it was time to start, but Shelley wasn't there yet. She came in a few minutes late, and it was fine, we were still breathing and centering our chakras, so no problem.

There are different kinds of yoga, and this kind is Vinyasa, or Flow yoga, which is a series of movements that flow into each other and it moves rather quickly once you have gone through the sequence, so you can work up a sweat and you get to use many muscles and they will all report back to you later in pain.

We were doing a series of sun salutations, which is how it usually goes, with some slight variation, depending on what the teacher feels like doing that night, and oh my goodness, it was hard work!

At some point we stopped to change what we were doing, and I whispered to the lady next to me that she was doing an amazing job, and she said she teaches yoga at another studio in town, so that explained why she was so good at it. Then she told me it's not a competition, but I assured her that everything is a competition, and she just laughed. Did I mention that she was in her sixties? Oh yes.

So then halfway through the series of sun salutations, when I was trying to inhale and exhale the way we were being directed to do, I got hyperventilated, and rather than pass out, I decided to sit down for a series, which worried Nurse Rachel a bit! I was fine, and I got up for the third series and finished the rest of the class.

That is my story of how I looked like a fool, when I was getting shown up at yoga by a woman 10 yrs older than me, and I had to sit down in the middle of it. How embarrassing.

Day 3: Eat Whatever You Feel Like Eating

Remember a week (or more) ago when I mentioned that all I wanted to eat was tomato and bacon sandwiches? It has been a couple of weeks of constant tomato and bacon sandwiches, and finally yesterday I finished the last tomato in the house, and I think I will not buy any tomatoes for a few days, so that I can eat something else.

I'm not tired of tomato and bacon sandwishes, not at all. I just think that in the interest of balanced nutrition, I might want to eat something else. Just for a few days. The Farmers Market isn't until Saturday, and I will probably go buy a few then. It's tomato season, though, and if anyone were to offer me some tomatoes from their garden, I would certainly make a few sandwiches!

1 comment :

  1. I love how your muscles report back to you in pain AND I wish I had a decent tomato for tomato sandwiches. We bought a few good ones at a fruit stand in Colorado which TJ ate like apples.

    ReplyDelete