Monday, August 15, 2011

It's almost Fall!

Okay, our visitors have come and gone, and the only popsicles that got made were one batch of Jello pops. They were great, and they don't melt and run down your face and arms as readily as the Koolaid pops. I never made any other popsicles, because I was busy chasing after kids all day, except when they were napping, and then I was too busy collapsing and enjoying some quiet knitting time to bother with popsicles. So at this point, having made that one successful batch of popsicles, they come out to about $7.50 apiece.

It was fun to have Soren and Carl and their parents here, and Soren read the map of Asia to us, and Carl is very sweet and has a rabbit named Bunnicula. Maddy went to GenCon with the adults and had a time, and came back with a cold that she shared with her parents.

It is a lot quieter at our house now.

What I am knitting today:

I finished a lot of half-done projects in the last few weeks, and now I have started a shawl. It's really going to be more of large scarf, because I am getting tired of the long rows, so I'm going with the smaller, scarf option. It is a mystery project, in which we get one clue a week for four weeks and we knit up the new clue and then eagerly wait for the next clue. Several people from our knitting group are making it, and it's fun to see how everyone's project is going - we're all using different yarns in different colors, so every shawl is special and different! (Could I say different any more?)

What I am eating today:

All I want to eat, since I saw an article on the internet about tomato sandwiches that referenced Harriet the Spy, which is only the best book ever, and I am not even exaggerating when I say I have read it a hundred times, are tomato and bacon sandwiches! I am not usually a fan of plain raw tomatoes, and Kim will tell you that I don't even love red sauce on my pizza (to her disgust), but tomato and bacon sandwiches on whole-grain toast with mayo? Are the best thing in the world.

Rich's mom and dad were here last weekend to visit while all of the grandchildren were here, and they stopped at a farm stand to buy corn (fresh! it was so good!) and they got tomatoes, too, just in time for Tomato Sandwich Madness! When those tomatoes were gone, I got RA out of bed early on Saturday to go to the farmer's market and buy more tomatoes!

You know you want one, so go make a tomato and bacon sandwich! I use instant bacon, the kind that is already cooked and you heat it up in the microwave - it doesn't get grease all over the stove and make your whole house smell of bacon.

Why my hands smell like rubber gloves:

I am taking microbiology this semester and the first class was tonight. It is all very interesting, but I am a bit germ phobic, and I have been picking at my cuticles so I wore a rubber glove to protect myself from the live bacteria we were handling in the lab! Eek!

Laura is even more squicked out about the germs than I am, so she was using her herbal calming spray in class, and practically hyperventilating in the lab! I thought we'd have to carry her out on a stretcher, but she did okay. We're going to get used to it and be fine. (Pass the Purell.)

2 comments :

  1. Mmmmmm.... bacon and 'mater sammiches. Tomato sandwiches are one of the best things about summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post made me want to come live at your house like I used to do. I love tomato sandwiches - no bacon, though, just pepper. And the knitting and the popsicles. It just sounds lovely.

    By the way, I'm still trying to knit you socks this year.

    ReplyDelete