Tuesday, July 7, 2009

In which I make tools, like a chimp!

Last night at work I made a little shopping list, because I am tired of trying to think of something to make whilst standing in front of the refridgerator looking hopefully for something appealing. I just got back from shopping with RA, and I've got groceries now.


When I got home from the store, Kim was home from having a Sisters Bonding Lunch with Rachel. I told her that I bought something for her, and if she unpacked the groceries she would find it, so she went right to work, putting things away. It's like a treasure hunt!



So Kim was putting things away, and I was watching, and then something laying on the counter caught my eye. It was the sign Becky sent me! Still laying on the counter, waiting to be hung displayed!


I told Rich a week or two ago that I wanted the sign to be hung in a spot on the kitchen wall where there used to be a wall phone (back in the days before cordless!), and then we both went blithely on with our lives, hoping that someone would hang the sign, but no one did.

So I looked at the phone hardware, still attached to the wall, and I thought to myself, "What would Becky do? She's a single woman who lives in a house, and if she wants something hung on the wall, she just does it herself! I need to be more like Becky!" With that brave thought, I got myself some tools:
and went to work. I unscrewed about 185 screws using the edge of the big butcher knife, until I remembered that I had seen the small screwdriver in a cup full of pencils so I rooted around until I found it. Using the small screwdriver, I removed the last couple of screws and took this hardware off of the wall!


Which left me this :I was too afraid to try trimming the wires - I could get electrocuted! Then, using the handle of the butcher knife as a hammer, I pounded this hanger into the back of the sign:


And hung it on the wall, covering the wires:


How about that! I'm amazed amazing!
Oh, and the thing I bought for Kim? It was a DVD of The Haunting that was in the sale bin near the checkout at the store. It's the original, about ghost hunters who go to investigate a reportedly haunted house! I thought she and Sando would like it, since they spend every Friday night eating pizza and watching Ghost Hunters on TV. I hope it's not too scary for them!








3 comments :

  1. I've always wanted to be some sort of inspiration for someone. Them's dangerous words: "What would Becky do?".

    I'm so proud of you being all independent and self sufficient and stuff.
    For future reference, however, I use a BUTTER knife to pry, screw or unscrew. Butcher knives are too dangerous even for me. Then to pound in the nail or hanger, I would use one of my high heeled pumps (the ones with the hard resin heel)
    I need to get a plug in keyboard for my phone so it doesn't take me so long to text back... do they make those?

    Love your new background too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. TJ said "she used a butcher knife for a hammer and a screwdriver. she's lucky to be alive."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the new sight, although the cute design doesn't quite mesh with your sparkling wit and sarcasm.

    ReplyDelete