Tuesday, February 1, 2011

In which there is some snow.

I went to Rachel's this afternoon to work on my chemistry homework, and it was just snowing lightly, but by the time I left, it was getting deep, and there weren't very many cars on the road.

We've been hearing warnings for two days about the big snow that was coming, and we had our doubts, because this happens every year, there are dire predictions of blizzards and then we get nothing, or hardly anything. People were getting more and more frantic about this, though, so it was beginning to seem like we were really going to get some snow this time.

So yeah, I got home from Rachel's and it was pretty thick in my driveway, but Rich had made a fire in the fireplace, and I curled up on the couch and we watched the Weather Channel with the dog, and it looked pretty frightful. Jim Cantore (yum!) was in Chicago, standing on a windy street corner, telling people to stay off the streets!

I went to bed to get my nap before work, because I only live a few blocks from the hospital, and I can get to work even if other people can't because they live out in the country where the wind blows across the fields and makes deep drifts on the roads, or so they tell me.

I left for work a few minutes early, and wow, the wind was really blowing! Rich and Sonny walked outside with me, so that Sonny could pee and Rich could help me get the car out of the driveway, and oh my goodness! I got stuck at the end of the driveway!

So with much irritation at my womanly snow-driving ways, Rich dug around the tires, and then backed the car out of the driveway himself, and I started down the road to work. There were no other car tracks on the road ahead of me, and the snow was at least six inches deep down the middle, which is mostly where I was driving!

When I got to work, I just gunned my engine and drove up over a mound of snow and into the Princess Parking lot, the one closest to the back entrance, where I always park. Mine is the only car in that lot, and there were no other tire tracks! It looks like no one has been out plowing for a few hours!

I've had a couple of calls since I got here from employees who can't get out of the parking lot. They want Maintenance to come and plow them out, but the Maintenance guys say they can't do it, and they are suggesting the employees should sleep here overnight.

This is all very exciting, and we'll just see how it unfolds. Rachel is working tonight, too, and we are wondering if we'll have to walk through the snow to get to our house in the morning! Walking in deep snow is not the worst part, the wind is what will make it unpleasant!

No comments :

Post a Comment