Monday, February 14, 2011

It's been a day, I tell you what!

I took another night off so this was a four-day weekend for me, but I didn't do it to have fun. I needed to sleep on Sunday night so I could get up early to take a test.

There is a test you have to pass to get into nursing school, and it's really a test of basic skills, which is kind of insulting, because if you can manage to pass chemistry classes, and also Anatomy and Physiology, you have pretty much demonstrated that you have some basic skills in reading and math, but it's just another hoop to jump through. Scott says that college is an endurance test, and I think he's right.

So Diane and I registered for this test, knowing that you can take it three times if you need to, in order to get a grade good enough for acceptance. We didn't do a lot to prepare, but I did try a practice test, and scored okay on the math and science sections, so I thought I'd be able to pass this thing.

We got up early and met for breakfast, and then went to the college to take the test. There were 8 people there, including us, and one more was registered who didn't show up. More than half of them were taking it for the second time.

We sat at computers to take the timed test, and we had three hours to finish it. I flew through the reading section, got bogged down in math but finished right at the limit for time on that one, and guessed my way through the life science part, because I took Anatomy and Physiology about 12 years ago, and I didn't remember much!

Diane is the slowest, carefullest test-taker in the world, as some of you may remember from the final exam in Intro to Chem, where it took her 4 hours to finish the exam, and I mocked her pretty hard about it!

So I finished, and the system gives you your results immediately, only you know I have a problem with reading instructions - I only read my favorite words! So I skimmed the page, looking for my score and I was crushed to see that I had barely done above the average!

There were some other numbers further down the page, blah blah blah, and I could see my scores on the individual areas, like my amazing score on reading comprehension and on grammar and English, and then my laughably lower scores on math and science, but wow, I was pretty sad and embarrassed about my miserable average score!

So I went and sat outside the testing room to wait for Diane. One of the young girls came out and was so excited over her high score on the test and told me that she had bought a test prep book, and it had really helped her! So I was sadly thinking to myself that I would need that book before I took the test again.

While I was waiting for Diane, Laura showed up for chemistry tutoring, because people, chapter 7 is hard! Laura sat and waited with me and commiserated on my low score, and then she went off to tutoring and I kept waiting for Diane.

Since it was a timed test, Diane did not get to take four hours, so she did eventually come out, and showed me the paper she was carrying, that she had printed after the test, a paper that showed all of her scoring, and that paper made me realize that I had misread my results, and the number I thought I had gotten? Was wrong!

Diane had to head over to her math class, and I stopped in to see if I could get anything out of the tutoring group that Laura was in, but the whole time I was sitting there, all I could think of was that I wanted to go home and check the testing website to see what my score really was!

I slipped out of there and went home, printed my scores and oh my goodness! I had actually scored quite a bit better than I thought I had! Woot! I did not get a score as high as the girl who used the test prep book, but you know what? I'm happy with what I got, and it's good enough. Yay!

I went to Rachel's after that to get help finishing chapter 7, and while I was there, Laura texted to say that she wasn't done and still needed help, and then Diane texted to say she was having a meltdown after math, so they both came to Rachel's House of Baked Goods to eat muffins and cupcakes and do chemistry.

After all of that, I was sooo tired and Rich had gotten my favorite pizza for dinner because apparently it is some sort of holiday? Whatever. I ate pizza and went to bed to get a nap before work.

4 comments :

  1. Yay you!
    Holiday? Was it National buy Pizza for dinner day or something?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hip, hip hooray, and a zillion cheers go out to you Audrey!! Moving on to the next. I would agree, college is like an endurance run, but I know you will pass through each challenge with joyous success!! Take care. =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops, messed up trying to commment...good thing I wasn't taking a test today :) I had no doubt that you would do well, you are one of the smartest people I know. I'm glad Rich got you a pizza, you deserved a treat after the day you had.

    ReplyDelete