Wednesday, April 6, 2011

In which I take a test and am kissed by a dachsund.

We had the second big test for our chemistry class tonight. Diane told me a couple of days ago that she dreamed that when she took the test, she marked all of the answers "C" and got a B on the test, so we joked that she would mark all of her answers that she didn't know as Cs and I would mark mine Bs.

Well, before we took the test in class, we talked about it again, and that is pretty much what I ended up doing. I actually knew the answer to one of the questions, and a few more of them I made (sort of) educated guesses on, and the rest? I marked them B. So we'll see how that works out for me. Diane said later that she did the same thing, marking the ones she didn't know with C. I think Nick mixed them up a little more than that, but it was mostly guessing on his part also.

After class people were complaining talking in the parking lot, and when almost everyone was gone, Laura invited me to come walk the dogs with her, and I said I would, but then told her that I was going to leave my phone in the car to charge up while I was gone, because it was almost dead. One of the guys from class was still standing there near her, and when he heard me say that, he offered to give me the battery from his phone and take my dead one! I gladly accepted his charged battery, and felt guilty for mocking him behind his back to my friends earlier!

So Laura and I went to her house and took her "girls" for a walk in her neighborhood. It was fun, and then when she drove me back to get my car at the college, all the girls jumped in the car to ride along. They each have their spot in the car - the poodle sits on the driver's lap, the doxie sits on the front passenger's lap, and the (English Bulldog?) other dog sits in the back seat. That doxie gave me a couple of kisses while we were riding, and slipped me the tongue! I think we might be going steady.

Maddy came over for an hour tonight before class, and it was the first time I've seen her this week, I think! I was going to walk her around the block in the stroller, but when we went outside she started toddling away across the lawn toward my neighbor Judy's house, so I followed along, guiding her away from the street. I coaxed her into Judy's backyard, where there is a wooden bench swing, and we sat on that, which Maddy found delightful, until the dog in the next yard started barking!

There is a high wooden fence all around the dog's yard, so I couldn't show the dog to Maddy, she could only hear the loud barking! It's a friendly dog, but Maddy has no way of knowing that, and I'm not sure she even knows that dogs bark like that, because the only dog she knows is my dog Sonny, who rarely barks at all, and never when Maddy has been around.

Judy came out of the house to say hello, and when Maddy saw her, she started to cry and reached out for Judy, who must look like a comforting grandma-type, because hello? I was holding her! Then Maddy came back to me, and we took her around toward the front of the house and sat on the porch with her, but when I gave her a toy to hold, I saw that her little hands were trembling, and she still looked like she might burst into tears at any moment.

The dog stopped barking when he couldn't hear us talk any more, and we got Maddy to sit in a little chair on Judy's porch and eventually she laughed and forgot about that dog. I hope so! I hope it won't become the dark beast that haunts her baby dreams!

1 comment :