Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Knit Night

What I am thankful for today:

I'm thankful that Laura came over with her knitting and her (finished) chemistry homework, and held my hand while I worked on my chemistry homework, but not literally, because then she wouldn't have been able to knit! She kept me going until all of the homework was finished, even the optional parts!

What I am learning from knitting night at the new shop:

I am learning to knit quietly and let other people talk, something I am usually not very good at. I am learning, but not fast enough, that if someone else's project is ugly or dumb, it is not necessary for me to point it out. I am learning to be tolerant even when people are going on about stupid things like sports - just because I am not interested, doesn't mean that other people shouldn't be. Even if I think they shouldn't be.

What I am cooking today:

Nothing, because it was Knit Night! Yesterday I made Tater Tot Casserole, however, and it was so good! I had some leftover casserole today.

How many times Maddy and I went up and down the stairs at my house today:

I couldn't even tell you, but it was a lot. She went into all of the bedrooms to look around, and when the cat sees Maddy coming, that cat shoots out of there. A cat who is peacefully sleeping on your bed can go from zero to sixty in no time at all when a baby comes toddling in, saying, "Cat!"

What I am reading today:

Charmed Life by Diana Wynn Jones. I think that is my favorite book ever. I have given so many copies to people, because I want everyone to enjoy it. When Jenna came to live with us, she told me about a book she read when she was younger and it was her favorite book, but she loaned it to someone and never go it back. I asked her what it was about, because I thought I could help her find it in the library or a bookstore, but she couldn't remember enough about it. Then one day she came to me, and she was so excited because she had been reading a book she found on a shelf in our house, and it was the book! It was the amazing book that she had loved! And it was Charmed Life. You should read it.

What I am knitting today:

1. A shawl. It's the Brandywine shawl. I saw a photo of a finished shawl on someone's Ravelry page (Pynnski), and it was so beautiful, I had to have one! I had a big hank of handpainted yarn from the Fiber Festival, and I started it, with hope and doubt. Hope that I could knit it, and doubt that I could follow lace instructions without messing them all up, because I am terrible at knitting lace! It's moving right along, though, and I'm very excited about it!

2. A Jayne Hat. I made one for Scott three years ago, and now a friend of Kim wants one. It's kind of a joke, and if you walk down the street wearing that hat, everybody knows you aren't afraid of anything.

3. Socks for Paula. The socks are pretty but a pain to work with. She brought me some yarn made of microfiber, and it's pleasantly cotton-y, but the thing about cotton is that it has no give, so my hands get tired of working on it.

4. A Chicknits classic cardigan for Kim. I'm making it with mauve Galway yarn, and it's coming along slowly.

5. Still working on the classic cardi for Kelly, too.

That's all the news for now.

2 comments :

  1. Who goes to knit night to talk about sports? That's just wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. look at you knitting and not telling people their projects are ugly!! I would love to watch Maddy terrorize those cats.

    ReplyDelete