Monday, April 18, 2011

In which someone got fingerprinted.

What is the world coming to when Diana is shaming me by writing in her journal more often than I am?? I just don't have anything going on, just the same old thing, blah blah laundry blah blah walked the dog blah blah made/didn't make dinner blah blah knitting. Now you know that's not very interesting!

Today I actually left town and did something, so I have something to write about! Wooo!

What I did today:

Laura Chem (all of my friends from Chemistry are listed in my phone contacts by their first name, with Chem as their last name. Diane Chem, Joann Chem, Nick Chem, Kim Chem... Kim Chem. Heh.) So where was I? Oh right, so Laura is applying for her Illinois license for massage therapy so she can get a job in Illinois instead of commuting to Wisconsin all the time, but part of that process is to be digitally fingerprinted, and apparently the closest place to do that is in Rockford.

Rockford is a longish drive, so she asked if I wanted to ride along to keep her company, and you know me, I will ride from Hell to Israel if I have my knitting and a pop to drink, so I said I would go along.

We left at two in the afternoon, but first we had to stop and get a pop and a hamburger for me because I had just gotten out of bed, and then Laura needed to put a couple of things in the mail, so we stopped by the post office, but after that we were on our way.

The drive to Rockford was uneventful, and I did several rows on my knitting (the yellow sock for RA). To my delighted surprise, our destination turned out to be not a police station, but a detective agency! We were greeted by a tall thin woman with big blonde hair, wearing a leopard-print scarf to accessorize her sweater and pencil skirt. She was wearing heels, too, and the overall impression was that she looked quite a bit like a Barbie doll.

Detective Barbie allowed us to use the bathroom, and I noted the collection of hair products in the glass-fronted cabinet in there, but then she got a bit pissy with me when I asked about the pink camera on her desk. She told me I could wait in the lobby while she did Laura's fingerprints, so I wandered out and read a book on my Kindle, and knitted on the yellow sock while I waited.

There was a table display in the lobby of gift cards you could purchase - in case your friend has been wondering if her husband is cheating on her? I think those would make pretty hilarious Christmas gifts!

When we left there, we kind of felt like we had come all that way, and that we should do something in town while we were there. We headed over to the main drag of strip malls, and went to see what we could find at Borders. We each bought a couple of books and I looked at a stuffed rabbit for Maddy ("Cat!"), but I didn't buy it.

We stopped to get a turkey sandwich on the way home, and it was a really great sandwich. Too bad the restaurant is called Beefaroo, I'm embarrassed to tell anyone where we ate.

We stopped at Laura's house when we got back to town, and there was cake, and her 'girls", including my new girlfriend, Mazey, were so happy to see us! All the girls jumped in the car for the ride to my house!

By the time I got home, it was really time for my evening nap, and I was ready for it. I slept for a couple of hours and when I woke up, Rich and Sonny were ready for bed! I got out of the bed and they got in it!

So there you go, that was my day. If anything else happens, I'll let you know.

3 comments :

  1. Sounds like a superb daily Audrey....what no yarn shops in that town? =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would also hate eating at a place call Beefaroo - worst name for a restaurant ever. I refuse to believe that you didn't buy any greeting cards from that very cool detective agency!!

    ReplyDelete