Tuesday, September 6, 2011

In which I keep doing something that I don't think I'm very good at.

Some people know that I want to write a novel, in fact I am working on three books right now, two fiction and one non-fiction. I thought that I was a good enough writer, but now that I am actually writing, I suddenly see that I am not as good as I thought I was. What?? Oh noes!

The thing is, my whole life I have been told that I am so good at writing, that I have such talent, blah blah blah, and even though I blew it off, I secretly kind of thought it was true.

Here's the thing, though. It's not that I can't write, because that's not the hard part, it's actually sitting in my chair and doing the writing. Not just a scene that I imagined one day, but the whole story! I have the vaguest idea of what I want my story to be about, but I don't actually have a story in my head!

It's hard, and I am hoping that if I just keep writing, the story will come from somewhere. I had a sudden epiphany the other day in which I realized that I have to keep writing to find out what happens!

I have two quotes that I keep in mind to encourage myself:

Inspiration is for amateurs, the rest of us just show up and get to work. -Chuck Close

and this one:

I hate writing, I love having written. -Dorothy Parker

3 comments :

  1. also? if you had an advance and a deadline you'd be WAY more motivated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean. I've been "writing" novels for years and years. But hey, November is coming, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. And you are great at writing believable dialogue, don't forget!

    ReplyDelete