Sunday, March 13, 2011

In which I acquired more yarn. Like I need that.

I got a call from someone I know last week, who said she had a box of yarn at her house that was from the house of an elderly lady who had died. I assumed it would be some crap acrylic, but I was assured that it was good stuff, so I went to take a look.

Ahem. It was, indeed, good stuff, but there was only one or two skeins of each yarn, and most of it was novelty yarn. Expensive novelty yarn, yes, but still, not my favorite thing to knit with.

The person who offered it to me had sorted all the skeins and bagged them up together, and she had obviously enjoyed doing it. I thought that was cute. She's not a knitter, but she had fun with fiber! I asked her which yarn was her favorite and promised to knit something for her with the one she chose, as a thankyou.

She chose a very pretty boucle yarn with a subtle multicolor running through it. Ugh! Boucle! I hate that stuff! But, I told her she could choose what she liked (that is always a mistake, why do I never learn?), so I wound the first skein into a ball, and cast on 3 stitches to start the corner of a triangular scarf.

There is not enough yarn here to make a shoulder shawl, but she will get a nice drapey triangular scarf to toss around her neck in an arty way, and I think she'll like that. I knitted about 2/3 of the first ball, but it wasn't quite right. It was too thick. It was pretty, but it wasn't draping the way I wanted it to.

I ripped that back and tried again. And again, and finally today, I have found the right needle to knit this thing the way I want it! As an added benefit, the needle that I'm using now is a Susan Bates needle with that gray coating, and a slightly more rounded tip than the Addis that I started with, and the needle slips nicely past the horrid little snaggy boucle loops! Woot!

I spent most of the weekend sitting in the big chair in the living room, knitting and watching episodes of Psych on Netflix. It was very pleasant.

Kim left early on Friday to drive to St. Louis to meet up with her friends at the Kawa Con. She took her Japanese schoolgirl uniform, and she told me tonight that three people asked to take a picture with her because she turned out to be dressed like Kagome and they were dressed as Inayusha. They are two characters in an anime series - I think it's called Inayusha. I would include a picture, but I'm at work and can't do it from here. If I remember, I'll put a picture of Kim-Kagome in tomorrow.

2 comments :

  1. You pulled back a boucle three times and could still knit with it? If I ever pull out a boucle it goes straight to the trash since it's too ratty after that to do anything with. Congratulations on your wild boucle taming skills! And SCORE on the yarn!

    ReplyDelete