Thursday, October 13, 2011

Men get old and pearls turn yellow.

I've gotten out of the habit of writing, but I'm going to try to get back to it. I like being able to look back later and see what I was doing months or years ago.

The title of this post is what Scott said when I told him how depressing the Three Dog Night concert was. The band members were old, the audience was old, and when the three senior citizens came out on the stage to introduce the band, one of the old dears said, "Let's show them how Freeport can rock and roll!" and I turned to Rich and told him that it was all so sad I could weep. I was staring into the face of my own mortality! I've heard from a few people that they thought it was a great concert, and someone said that she was reliving her youth, but I just thought it was sad.

In other, more cheerful news, I am knitting a blue jacket for Soren's rabbit, Peter. Carolyn said that Soren wants a jacket for Peter since they read the story of Peter Rabbit - you know, the one where Peter loses his jacket and his shoes when he is chased out of Mr. MacGregor's garden. I have been looking for a pattern for a rabbit jacket for a couple of days, and then I thought of the shape of the rabbit (which Carolyn carefully measured for me) and I decided to try making a Baby Surprise Sweater out of sock yarn. The sock yarn and smaller needles should make it just about the right size for Soren's rabbit. If it works out, I'll make one for Carl's rabbit, too, but in a different color.

Maddy is growing and can say a couple of words now. She can say quite a few words, really, but she usually doesn't bother. She said "No!" loudly and clearly to our dog the other day when he was bothering her, and she says "Out!" while banging on the inside of the front door. She wants to go out and pick up fallen leaves and carry them around in her hand like a bouquet. Now that the leaves are drying up, she likes to shuffle across my yard and listen to the leaves crunch under her feet. Rachel is planning to rake up a big pile for Maddy to play in this weekend.

Kim is doing fine and will be home in a little more than two months! I miss her!

1 comment :

  1. I hadn't even heard of Three Dog Night until this fall; but that could be more a comment on my hip-ness than on the age of the band.

    I'm sorry your concert was so depressing. I guess you'll just have to knit your sorrows away.

    ReplyDelete