Sunday, January 15, 2017

How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice! Practice!

Someone asked me if I liked practicing the piano, and I had to think about the answer.  I do and I don't.  I like to practice in a way, because it's fun to be able to play something, even if it's slower than it should be played, because I have to play slowly so I don't hit wrong notes..  On the other hand, I don't play well, and any improvement I make is so small as to be almost invisible, so it's frustrating. 


I can play okay now to accompany the primary kids, if I only play with one hand.  Even just playing the melody line can be tricky, because if I play a wrong note, I can't stop to correct it, I have to keep going because they're singing! 


I would like to think that someday I will be able to just sit down and play effortlessly, at least when it comes to primary songs, but I kind of doubt it.  I might be starting too old, and I don't have enough years ahead of me to learn to play well!  Maybe I need to practice more!






No comments :

Post a Comment