Monday, January 16, 2017

Smile like you mean it.

Tonight I was thinking as I played the piano, and  I realized that having houseguests has changed how I practice, and not for the better.  I usually play after Rich goes to bed, because he is a good solid sleeper and it doesn't bother him.  He says he doesn't even hear it.


Since we have company, I have been playing after they go to bed, because I feel self-conscious about practicing while they are sitting around the house, as if they are paying attention to me, and even though I don't think they are, sometimes the mother will comment on my playing, so they are paying some attention to me, and I really don't like it.


Neither of them can play the piano, so they don't have anything constructive to say, and really, they don't say much at all, but I feel like if I play when they're awake, they will have trouble hearing the TV and they will have to turn it up (which I hate!), or that it will otherwise be an annoyance, and even though I know that it doesn't matter, and I shouldn't care, I still feel self-conscious.  It's all very awkward. 


So I wait until everyone goes to bed, and try to play quietly, so as not to bother anyone who is sleeping, but the quiet playing feels timid and it makes me play the notes timidly, and just not as well.  Ugh, what should I do?


I guess my answer is to play in the afternoons or in the evening after dinner and not care about the inconvenience of others.  Rich is not bothered by my playing and I don't really care if anyone else in the house is.  Maybe it will encourage them to move out faster, haha!












No comments :

Post a Comment