Monday, October 5, 2009

In which I become a farmer.

So this afternoon I was sitting at my desk with my face in the computer, like I always am in the afternoon, but at least today I had managed to put in a load of wash and had some dinner in the oven, so I didn't feel like a complete slacker.

I was chatting to Kim on IM and playing some Three Towers Solitaire on Facebook and then for some reason I started thinking about Billy No-mates. I wondered what he was up to, and how he was liking his new job, and if he was on Facebook, or if he thought he was too cool for it. I did a search for him, and found several people with the same name, but there he was, with a picture, and I thought about friending him, but then, well... I don't know. It's been a long time since I blew him off, and I haven't missed him, except in the way you miss a big painful headache when it's gone, like you notice it's not there, but you don't really wish it was back.

It occured to me too, that he might be mad because I did kind of break up with him, when he made me mad one night after months of him getting on my nerves on an almost daily basis. So I asked Kim if I should try to friend him on FB and she said what the heck, I should just do it. I told her it would be pretty degrading if he clicked ignore - I mean, really, ignored by Billy No-mates? How humiliating! But she said I should go ahead, because who cares, it's just the internet!

So I hesitated, but then I thought what the heck, it's just the internet, and I sent him a friend request, and about a minute later he replied, which didn't surprise me, because one of the things that made us friends was that when no one else was around, we were both always online.

Then, before I even had a chance to write on his wall, he sent me a note, asking me to be his neighbor in Farmville. Ugh, I have blown off so many of those little Farmville requests, because I tried Yoville and got tired of it, but I thought that just to be nice I would take a look at Farmville, and you know what? It's kind of fun. It reminds me of Animal Crossing, and more than that, it's like Harvest Moon, a game that I used to watch Kim play for hours!

Which is why when I got up from my nap before work, I was a little pressed for time, but I had to check on my farm and harvest my strawberry crop, because Billy No-mates had warned me that they will wilt and die if you don't pick your crops in time. So yay! I saved my strawberry crop and planted some longer-lasting soybeans and wheat.

In other news, I finished knitting a dark blue cabled sweater vest for Kim this weekend. It fit beautifully and she wore it all day on Saturday. I had started a rust-colored vest, too, but last night I was working on it at work, and I had an epiphany! Kim does not need two sweater vests! I ripped it out, and today I put that yarn back in the yarn room until I can decide what I want to do with it.

So for right now, I don't have any big projects on the needles. I have a sock in my purse, in the Hedwig colorway of Opal Harry Potter colors, and it's beautiful. I started a pair of wool socks for RA, who is buying them for her son, and also wants me to knit some felted slippers for her sister, so I need to find the pattern for those.

I still have some projects that need finishing, like buttons to sew on baby sweaters and edging to sew on blankets, but I need something new and fun to work on. Hmm. Maybe something for Carolyn...

3 comments :

  1. my friend Conly got me to do Farmville after we both got tired of Farm Town. It is addicting to watch your farm grow. Especially since I have no real life. Will you be my neighbor (I'm pretty sure that sounded as pathetic as I think it did)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have so many gifts stacked up for Farmville... my Farmtown farm got so big it took me forever to do anything so then, of course, I got bored and quit doing it.
    Thanks for entertaining me on facebook. Made my afternoon so much happier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carolyn likes things! And Soren would love a sweater-vest!

    ReplyDelete