Saturday, October 3, 2009

In which there is cooking, knitting and mockage. Also Euchre.

We're having a good visit with Kim this weekend. She was stressed last week, and Rachel told her to come home to allow us to pamper her. She got here Friday night, later than she had expected due to an unplanned lunch with a friend after her Friday class.

When Kim got home, it was right about time for my evening nap, so she sat on my bed with her laptop, reading emails and whatnot, and I tried to sleep, but I was pretty excited to have her home, so the sleep never happened. We got up and went downstairs to sit with Rich, who was watching a TV show about haunted houses, and then Sando showed up with a video game he wanted Kim to play, and by the time that was all set up, it was time for me to go to work. I didn't get to see the video game, but Kim assured me it was as much fun as Sando said it would be.

By the time I got home from work this morning, I had been awake for 24 hours, and I was pretty tired! I dropped into bed and went right to sleep! When I woke up, Rich was gone to the church to listen to conference, and Kim was just waking up, too.

I promised Kim earlier this week that when she came home we would go to the apple orchard, so we got dressed and took a long drive into the country and ... wait for it... found the apple orchard! It's the first time I've driven there by myself, but RA and I have spent hours driving around looking for it! Last year we finally got good directions, so now we are able to drive directly to the orchard, instead of taking a tour of the cornfields first.

We bought apples, salsa, cider donuts, two kinds of cider, and some chocolate-covered cashew brittle. Oh, and a caramel apple for Rachel, who asked us to bring her one. There were two kinds of salsa, pineapple and hot peach, which sounds wierd, but I'd had the hot peach salsa before and knew it was good, and the orchard lady told me the pineapple salsa was good, too, so I had to try it.

Oh, and we stopped on the way home to get a few things at the grocery store, including flea medication for the cats! You apply the liquid to the back of their necks, and then, if you are mean like we are, you mock the cats for the rest of the night for having manky-looking neck fur.

Kim sat down on the couch with her computer on her lap and started watching a Mythbusters marathon, and I went to the kitchen to make 40 clove garlic chicken. When that was in the oven I pulled out my knitting and watched TV while I finished the sweater vest for Kim.

Rich and Ash went to church for the priesthood session of conference tonight, and Rachel came over to eat chicken and her caramel apple, and she was kind enough to play euchre with me, too!

I did manage to get in a short nap before work, but I'm still tired. When Kim goes back to school tomorrow, I'm going to bed, to catch up from the weekend.

2 comments :

  1. We just put the flea stuff on our cat, too. She freaks out afterward, running around and rolling all over trying to get it off. She looks like a wet rat afterward. Last time I put some on her it was right before her vet appt, and the vet actually asked what was wrong with her fur ... I thought that was an odd question, you'd think a vet (And he's a cat owner!!) would know what makes a cat look that way.
    ~~Kath~~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going to the orchard sounds like so much fun.

    We don't get fleas out here in the dry ol' west and I'm pretty darn happy about that. Although it would be fun to put something on the cat just to embarrass him, and cause him to give me the stink eye for a day or so.

    ReplyDelete