Saturday, January 9, 2010

And it's 0 outside!

Had a busy day today. There was a baby shower in the morning for Rachel, and Kim and I went to that. It was a lot of fun, and 27 people showed up for it! Wow! It was for all the ladies from church and there was a pancake buffet! The hostess had made a little movie where she asked Ash a bunch of baby-related questions. She would ask Rachel the question and Rachel had to say what she think Ash answered, then we got to see Ash answering the question in the movie. It was really clever!

When we got home in the afternoon, Kim had to start packing to go back to college, so she spent a couple of hours packing and loading her car while I went back out shopping with Ruthann at Walmart on a SATURDAY AFTERNOON! It was full of people, but not as many of them were bizarre today. Or I was too busy shopping to notice the weird-looking ones.

While Kim was here, everytime I went to the store, I bought groceries for her to take back to school with her - things she cooks for herself when she's back in her apartment, like ramen soup and Pasta-roni, canned chili and hash. She took it back in three grocery bags today, and she says it's probably enough food for a month.

Rich had a meeting this evening and then he was supposed to chaperone a youth activity, so he was getting ready to leave about the same time Kim was. He took the van, and Kim was leaving with her car, so that left me home with Rich's car that hasn't been out of the driveway in two weeks!

When everyone was gone and I had the house to myself, I called Diana to talk to her while I worked on my farm (Farmville). The house was so quiet! So I was talking and farming, and I heard a noise that sounded almost like a voice! It startled me, and I had to get up and check the doors and look around to see what caused it. It must have been the cats, but Diana assured me that if I was scared, she would stay on the phone with me to keep me company until it was time to go to work!

After she talked me off of that ledge, she suggested that I go out and clean off Rich's car and make sure it starts before I took my nap, so that I wouldn't be unpleasantly surprised when it was time to go to work. Good idea!

The snow was deep outside, but it was powdery, so I took a broom to clean off the car. I was feeling pretty clever about that idea! I got the car uncovered, and pulled out my keys, and ... oh no! The key wouldn't go in the lock! Was it frozen? I tried feeling around (in the dark!) to make sure I was getting the key into the keyhole, but that wasn't the problem, and I was wondering how to melt a frozen lock, when I realized I was using the wrong key. Oh. So with the correct key, the car started right up. I backed it out of the giant snow drift and parked it under the carport so it was all ready to go and then I went in and took a nap.

Rich came home about the time I was waking up, so I didn't have to worry about driving his car at all, but he was grateful that his car is all cleaned off for driving to church in the morning. Yeah, you're welcome.

Now I'm at work, with knitting and a library book, and Kim just called to say she got back safely, so it's a good night.

3 comments :

  1. I would have stayed on the phone while you were sleeping too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a good mom.

    There's nothing creepier than hearing voices when you know you are alone. Thank God for the phone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of those Hot Hands packets is the best way to melt your frozen lock. That used to get me to seminary in the morning.

    ReplyDelete