Sunday, January 3, 2010

It was a long weekend.

We didn't do anything exciting on New Year's Eve because we really don't care. Rich, Kim and I all went to see Sherlock Holmes, and that was pretty entertaining. Then Kim left to sleep over at Ana's house, and Rich and I watched TV in bed - we watched the ball drop in Times Square and then Rich went to sleep and I stayed up reading in bed until I got sleepy about 2 a.m.

That was Thursday night. On Friday I was sitting in front of my computer, farming my Farmville farm when I got a text message from Rachel's friend Kat, asking if Kim and I wanted to go with her to see Midget Wrestling. Midgets? I'm there!

Kat said she would pick me up early so we could get to the bar in the small town where the wrestling would take place, and we could check out the surroundings and get a hamburger, because I am always looking for a good hamburger. Kim declined to go with us, which was just as well, as it turned out.

The bar was easy to find, and we got a great parking spot. The hamburger was very good, and so were the fries. The bar was small and very loud, and Kat recognized most of the songs, but I only knew one. Maybe two. The music was so loud that you couldn't hear anything on the five (!) TVs that were hanging on the walls, and yet none of the TVs had the closed captioning turned on, so I don't see what the point of having them turned on was at all.

There was another room next to the main bar area, and that was where the ring was being set up for the wrestling. There were two rows of chairs around the ring, and when we were allowed to start shuffling in to that room, I suggested that we didn't sit in the front row, in case any midgets came flying out of the ring, because I didn't want to have one land on me! Kat agreed that was a good idea.

We tried to get some pictures but none of the ones we took with our cameras were any good. I have one blurry shot of Kat, standing in a 'wrestler' pose in front of the ring, and one of a skinny guy with a completely bald, shiny head, who was inexplicably wearing pajama pants. We joked that maybe he had Leukemia or something and was just out of his sickbed for a fun last night on the town. Later when he was being a complete asshole and shouting abuse at one of the female wrestelrs, she called him "Leukemia," so we weren't the only ones who thought he looked unwell.

I texted Kim from the bar while we waited for the wrestling to start:

Me: So I'm in a grungy bar that has good burgers and we're waiting for the wrestling to begin.

Kim: Take pics of the bar!

Me: I just sent you one of Kat standing in front of the ring.

Kim: It's a little ring. But it contains their big hearts.

Me: U R so funny!


(The picture was too blurry to post here.)

Later:

Me: It's freezing in here also Scott was right this is fake as hell and so far not a midget in sight.

Kim: Midgets aren't fighting?

Me: Only midget brains!



Eventually there was one Little Person who came out to fight, but by then I was very tired of being surrounded by idiots who were yelling stupid things that they mistakenly thought were funny, and I wasn't interested any more.

After the third match (the first one to actually contain a midget), there was an intermission, and one of the young ladies offered to body slam any man in the audience for five dollars. Immediately, men started jumping up and giving her money to slam them down in the ring and sit on them! The funniest part was when Leukemia jumped up and wanted to be slammed - she picked him up and pulled the back of his pajama pants down to moon the audience before she threw him down, and I screamed to Kat, "I'm blind!" He deserved the humiliation, and I clapped enthusiastically.

We left after that, and I was so happy to be outside breathing in the clean, cold air! On the way home, we decided we need to get out more often, so Kat is going to see what other cultural experiences she can find for us.

When I was telling Rich about it the next day, I asked him if he would pay five dollars to have a woman body slam him and sit on his head? He said if he wanted to be abused he could stay home and it wouldn't cost him anything.

1 comment :

  1. I love it! You are having great adventures. Very enertaining.

    ReplyDelete