Sunday, January 31, 2010

How to weigh a baby.

Rich and I made a quick trip to Eville to visit Kim and deliver her harp this weekend. We left Friday afternoon and got home Saturday evening. We were gone just a little more than 24 hours.

We had an audiobook of Plum Spooky by Janet Evanovich to listen to in the car, and it was very entertaining. Rich was laughing out loud in some spots. I've read the book, but I enjoyed hearing it read to me, and I really like that story. So that made the ride down there seem to go faster.

I had some knitting to work on in the car, too. I was almost done with a baby sweater for Kim's roomate's sister's baby boy. Got that? It's complicated. Anyway, I worked on it all the way down there and finished it in the hotel room on Saturday morning so I could give it to Kristen.

Kim was happy to get the harp, Kristen was happy to get the sweater, and we took a little side trip to the yarn store in Eville, where I got some pretty handpainted Cascade 220 to make a Wallaby for Maddy, as well as some sock yarn that was just pretty. Then we took Kim to lunch at Buffalo Wild Wings, the noisiest restaurant on the planet, and after lunch we set off for home. See? It was just a quick trip.

It was Maddy's first day at church, and she slept for about half of sacrament meeting, with me eagerly watching for her to wake up so I could hold her! After the meeting, Rachel and I stayed seated so that people could come over and see the new baby, and she was very much admired! (Of course she was!)

In the evening, while Ash was sleeping after he worked all weekend, Rachel brought Maddy over to visit and get some dinner with us. Maddy was bit fussy, so Rich and I took turns carrying her around to soothe her. She looks like she has gained a little weight, and Rachel is so relieved, because she is afraid the baby will have to be hospitalized for failure to thrive, because Rachel is a crazy paranoid nut about this baby!

Maddy is eating very well now, and there is no need to worry about her weight, but Rachel wanted to weigh her, just to check. I have a food scale in the kitchen, so we got that out, and put a bowl on it to weigh the baby in. Then we stripped the baby down, and Rich grabbed a wipe to clean her bum, because apparently none of us noticed she had been wearing a slightly stinky diaper.

Maddy was annoyed about the wiping (how humiliating!), and also affronted at being stripped down, but what really made her mad was when we put her in the mixing bowl on top of the scale! Also, the scale? Did not register her weight, because apparently a healthy baby and a mixing bowl together weigh more than that scale can accomadate.

So I held the angry naked baby while Rich went upstairs to get our digital bathroom scale. Rachel was laughing too hard to hold the poor baby, and the baby was so mad about the whole thing that she pooped a little on my sweater!

First we weighed Rich, then we passed him the baby and weighed both of them, and then subtracted his weight. It looks like she weighs around 6 lbs, so she is doing well, and fattening up nicely. Rich put away the scale, then he dressed the baby while I changed my sweater.

Then Rachel announced that it was time for Maddy to go home to bed, so she packed up her stuff, and took the baby home. Rich and I watched the second part of Emma on PBS, well, okay, I watched it, but Rich wandered away after about 10 minutes.

So that was my weekend, and tonight I'm back at work where it is quiet and warm, and I've got some knitting.

2 comments :

  1. a. love the pink and black background so rock and roll.
    b. love the image I have a miss nakey baby in a bowl on a scale!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's hilarious that Maddy pooped on your sweater while she was naked!

    ReplyDelete