Wednesday, December 16, 2009

In which Finals are finished.

I haven't slept much the last couple of days, so I'm getting pretty tired. This morning about 4 a.m., I could hardly keep my eyes open at work, and then I went to breakfast with Diane from the lab, and by the time I got home, I was sleepy, so instead of farming, I went straight to bed.

I was almost asleep when suddenly I was awake again, and I tossed and turned, and fought with my pillow, and then the doorbell rang. I waited a minute, but Rich didn't go downstairs to answer it, and I wasn't dressed for answering the door, so I had to get up and go call up to the office to Rich and tell him the doorbell rang.

Rich said he couldn't hear the doorbell from his office, and that's why he didn't answer it. He went downstairs and I went back to bed, and I could hear voices downstairs, and then Rich stopped in on his way back upstairs to tell me that one of the kids from church, a boy about Kim's age, had locked himself out of his apartment, which is three or four blocks away, and walked over to our house so he'd have someplace warm to wait until his roommate got back at noon. It was -3, so he'd had a cold walk to our house!

I slept after that, but I kept waking up and checking the time, and finally I got up at 1:30. The kid was gone by then, and Rich said he'd just slept on the couch all morning.

I went out with RA, but when I'm tired, my tolerance goes down and I can't listen to babbling, so I was happy to get back home again. I worked on my farm, and Kim's, and I chatted with Kim over the internets about her day.

Kim was feeling harrassed and overworked, but she was getting things done! When I talked to her later, she had turned in some things and was feeling better about her life. She's getting past the end of semester panicking, and just starting the worry about grades, which will peak during the next week, as she has time to sit and wonder and chew her nails over whether she is going to get the As and Bs that she is expecting, or if she will be sideswiped by an unexpected C. I don't think Kim has ever gotten a C, but she worries about the possibility and fears them like other people fear werewolves or spiders.

I tried to sleep before I came to work tonight, but that didn't really happen either, so here I am, and I'm planning to take some Tylenol PM in the morning, and to sleep well tomorrow. Kim will be home in the evening, so I'll have plenty of time to put clean sheets on her bed and make a Spanish Omelet to welcome her.

No comments :

Post a Comment