Wednesday, November 25, 2009

In which we make brine, twice.

When I got up today, Kim and Radar were gone and had left a note saying that they went to Rachel's and were going to a movie later. Rich was up in his office, so I had the house to myself for a little while.

I didn't use the time to take a luxurious bubble bath or anything, I did some laundry and cleaned toilets, but I would rather do menial jobs when no one is around, so it was good.

Kim had made a Spanish Omelet and left some for me, and there was coconut pie to go with it! She had also left a big mess in the kitchen, but luckily, cleaning up the kitchen is not my job. I had put a roast in the crockpot when I got home from work in the morning, and that was still simmering.

I tried to farm, but Farmville has been acting quirky this week, which is making me lose my enthusiasm for playing it. While I was looking for entertainment on the internets, Rich wandered by and asked if I wanted to go with him to get the oil changed in his car, and get some dinner somewhere. Well, yeah!

So we went out and got the oil changed, and drove through Sonic to get BLTs. We just needed something light because we were planning to eat the pot roast later.

The kids came back from the movie about the time we were done eating, and they said they saw the new Christmas Carol movie and it was awesome! Kim was tired and she went upstairs to lay down for a while, and Radar stayed downstairs with me and started cooking the brine for the turkey. I love it when kids cook while I supervise!

So I sat at the kitchen table and asked him nosy questions about his family and and he made the brine, which had to be divided up in two big pots because it makes a lot. Then the brine had to sit on the stove and cool to room temperature, so we left it sitting and I went back to try farming again, and he sat down with his video game.

When Kim came downstairs, she said that Rachel and Ash were coming over to watch a funny version of Twilight, and Rich sat down to watch it with them. He had been in the kitchen cleaning up, and I asked him what he did with the big pots of broth on the stove, and instead of saying he left them sitting, he said he dumped them, not knowing what they were! EEK!

So Rachel and I went back to the kitchen and made brine again! I wasn't interested in watching the movie, and neither was she, so we didn't really care. We made brine, we ate chocolates, and then we knitted. It was all very pleasant.

So I didn't get a nap before work tonight, but that's okay. I've got tomorrow night off, and I'll catch up then. When I get home in the morning, I'll make the stuffing for the turkey and Rich will roast it while I'm sleeping. I had a plan to make extra stuffing, too, since there is never enough with Kim keeping the stuffing bowl next to her and growling at anyone who wants some. I don't know if that will happen though. If Rachel remembers to make a pan of cornbread tonight, I can use it for the extra stuffing tomorrow. Otherwise, we'll just have to fight Kim for it like we always do.

2 comments :

  1. ok I can't believe he threw out 2 pots of anything on the stove without asking someone! I wish I had some stuffing, no one likes it so I never make it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris threw out my leftover brine which I like to save for a couple of days in case I want to make more gravy. It was a in a 5 gallon bucket in the garage and he wanted to use the bucket to clean the boat. Gravy is almost my favorite part of Thanksgiving so, really, it was grounds for a beheading, but I found a container of brine I froze last year and I'll just use that instead.

    ReplyDelete