Monday, November 9, 2009

Yay, back to work tonight!

Well, I went to church today, but it was Stake Conference in Rockford, so we had to go all the way to Rockford, and we picked up my friend Shelley's sons to give them a ride because their parents are out of town, so the ride there was fun listening to the CD of music from Rachel and Ash's wedding, and oh yeah Ash? I told them that was you singing on it, haha! And they thought it was good!

So we got to the meeting and it was crowded because it was a meeting for the entire stake, which covers a lot of ground, and we were sitting on folding chairs in the gym, where all the people with kids sit, and the people like us who don't get there early enough to get a seat closer to the front.

It was okay, the noise of small children was a dull roar, but the talks were good and even though it was very hot, so hot that my brain was melting and I just sat and looked at my phone, wishing I could think of someone to text, because I knew Kim wasn't awake yet, but for some reason I did not even think of Diana, who I text during church almost every week! But then it started to feel cooler, because someone else must have noticed the body heat of a few hundred people was making the central heating unnecessary and turned it down, so that was good, and I had been ignoring the two little boys sitting in front of us, I was completely zen about them.

Until the kids got really rambunctious and the father took the older one, who was about four, out to the lobby, and the little one who was probably around two, started jumping from chair to chair on the folding chairs, which was noisy as well as dangerous. I kept on ignoring him though, and his mother was making an effort to keep him quiet, but at some point she let him get about 3 chairs away from her, and the little boy was right in front of Rachel and I.

Rachel told me later that the first time he stumbled on the chair and caught himself, that she started planning what she would do when he fell and cracked his head open on the floor - she knew she couldn't tear the fabric of her skirt, and she didn't care about the sweater she was wearing but she didn't want to take it off, so she planned to tear his cotton shirt into a bandage to stop the bleeding from his head wound...

She didn't tell me all that until later, but I could feel her practically jumping out of her skin with nerves next to me, and I was expecting him to fall, too, and then he put his hands up to his mouth and started to make a hooting sound and suddenly I found myself standing up and putting his arms firmly down by his sides and moving him over by his mother as I said, "You need to quit it!" in a firm voice!

I sat back down, feeling very embarrassed - oh my gosh, I grabbed someone elses kid! and Rachel was gasping with laughter and shock, and I started to laugh, but I felt so embarrassed! I leaned forward to his mother and apologized, I told her I was afraid he was going to fall, and she just shook her head and said it was okay, and it was okay, because he stayed on her lap after that and looked at a book with her.

Afterward I talked to her again and said I didn't think she was a bad mother, I was just worried and I told her about Rachel's plan to bandage him up, and she laughed.

Rachel called me later after we were all at home, and said she and Ash were laughing about what would have happened to them when they were kids if they had been acting up in church - how they would have been marched out to the lobby, the 'walk of shame', or no, it would have been the 'walk of pain' because they would have gotten a swat on the butt!

You know my parenting theories, I only have two - the first one is that you have to be the worst kid in the house so your kids need to be good to bring you up right, and the second one is that you only need to give your kids a good spanking once, or, if they're stubborn, twice, because after that they know if you have to get up off that couch, they better run for their lives!

So that was my day at church, and at home we took a nap and then I played with my farms on Farmville, and talked to Diana on the phone until it was time to come to work.

3 comments :

  1. I raised 2 nice boys on the "worst kid in the house" plan. Thanks Dr. Duede! (now you're a child psychologist??)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brother, Pat, must have missed the memo about only needing 2 good spankings. Boy, there was a stubborn kid. I always thought he was stupid, because the way to get out of trouble was clear as day to me but he refused to take it.

    I used to worry that Soren would be like that but he is actually very obedient. He needs two firm warnings about any new rule and then we're good.

    Of course, making up (and enforcing) new rules in the middle of Stake Conference is a-whole-nother story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, when you are texting for your life on Sunday mornings, I am usually available. I'm just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete