Tuesday, November 24, 2009

It's been raining all day, and I got wet!

I haven't been cooking a lot lately, and suddenly I am out of everything! I asked the kids what they wanted for dinner, and Radar expressed an interest in Curried Chicken (an excellent choice!), but I knew I needed a can of tomatoes for that.

Kim wanted to go to W@lmart, as she needed some new earphones for her mp3 player, so we went, trudging through the rain, which was just starting when we got there. We both got earphones, because when Kim's break, she 'borrows' mine and then I don't have any.

It was raining slightly harder on the way home, but that was no big deal. I went to the kitchen to start cooking and I was a bit surprised to see that I was out of curry paste! I always have curry paste! Well, there was a jar of Thai green curry paste, but it wasn't the kind I needed for dinner.

Okay, I'm flexible, no problem, I'll make chicken noodle soup. I started browning the chicken in a pot on the stove, and then went to gather up the vegetables I needed to chop, and - hey! No carrots? Great, I can leave out the carrots. I pulled out the celery, saw a lone zucchini, and thought I would use that instead of carrots, but on closer inspection, no. It was a little too old, and showing its age in unpleasant ways. There was half a cabbage - yeah, that would be okay, wait, no, also too old to use, and when I looked at the celery? OMG, very nasty.

Somebody needed to go back to the store. You know, this is what an idiot I am, I just realized I should have called for a pizza. I didn't think of that at the time, because I was focused on Making Chicken Soup.

So, I whined a little, but the people who were playing video games on their laptops ignored my suffering, and I finally just went out by myself. To the store. In the now pouring rain.

In the parking lot I recognized Shelley's car, so when I got inside the store I tried calling her to see where she was! I thought it would be fun to shop together, but she didn't answer. I looked for curry paste, but I was in the smaller grocery store near my house, and they don't carry anything that exotic. So it was on to the vegetable aisle.

I tried Shelley again, but still no answer. As I was leaving the store, I saw her coming in, and she said she'd been sitting in her car talking to her son on her cell phone. Oh well.

Back home and I had the vegetables all chopped and ready to go in the pot with the chicken, to sweat them for five minutes. I was reaching for the lid when the doorbell rang.

It was my neighbor, bringing over a coconut pie! I love her coconut pie! I danced around and showed it to everyone before I put it in the fridge and then I sat down to my computer to read my email, and to call Rich's parents to thank them for the big box of Sees chocolates they sent!

Sadly, the doorbell interruption distracted me from finding the lid, so while I was on the phone, the vegetables did not sweat, they scorched, and I had to convince everyone that the soup was still good, it was just a nice manly brown. I went upstairs and took a nap after that, and I don't know if anyone ate any or not. When I woke up, Rich had already done the dishes and put the food away.

So here I am at work, and I have plans to make a roast in the crockpot tomorrow, which is very much foolproof, so we will have an unscorched dinner.

1 comment :

  1. oh my goodness you are brave to go to the grocery store not once, but twice! I can believe you don't have the kind of curry you need because don't you make that curry chicken every night?? Just kidding, you didn't make it when I was there...

    ReplyDelete