Monday, November 30, 2009

Monday

Kim wanted to get back to school in time to go to church in her ward on Sunday. Her ward doesn't meet until 1:30 in the afternoon, so she asked Rich to wake her up at 6:30 in the morning, and she took a Tylenol PM the night before so she would go to sleep early. (Early is before midnight, since she has been staying up progressively later every night of this vacation! She never went to bed before 3!)

So she packed her stuff Saturday night while she was waiting for the T. PM to take effect, and when I got home from work at 7 on Sunday morning, she was almost ready to leave. She brought her big suitcase down from her room, and we looked around the living room to make sure she wasn't forgetting anything, and she got her GPS from my car, and then she was ready to go.

We carried her laptop, her big suitcase, her big purse and a smaller tote bag out to the car, and I packed a snack bag for her with all of the leftover half-bags of chips and cheese popcorn that she and her friends were eating all week. I put in two cans of Mountain Dew to help wake her up, too. She said she'd stop at McD's for breakfast and then she left...sniff...

I went to the den and sat in front of my computer for a while - I had to read my emails and do my farming - and an hour or so later I went upstairs to bed. I glanced into Kim's room to see how big a mess she left behind, and eek! She forgot her smaller bag of grooming essentials! I glanced at the contents and right on top were her glasses and her retainer! Oh no!

I didn't call Kim to tell her she'd forgotten anything, because she'd been on the road for more than an hour already, and it was too late for her to come back for her bag. I just went to bed.

Kim called last night, after she got home from church, and she was in a very pissy mood, because she had discovered she didn't have her grooming bag. I promised to mail her glasses and retainer on Monday, and told her to go to the store to buy some solution for her contacts, and a toothbrush. She wasn't thrilled, but she did it.

So today I went to the post office with RA, who is finally back from her travels - she's been gone for most of October, and when she was home, she was sick, and then she left again!

I went up to the counter with my little Priority Mail box, instead of using the Magic Mailing Machine (I love that thing!), because I wanted to get some insurance on the package, since her glasses and retainer would be expensive to replace if the box got lost in the mail. I told the postal clerk that it was some stuff my daughter left behind when she went back to college, and he said I was the first person today to come in to mail something to a kid who had forgotten it. He said usually on a Monday they get at least three parents mailing stuff that got left behind by their college kids! Who knew?

The only other thing that happened today was that the boys who borrowed our GPS and left one of their cars at our house while they went out of town, came back and picked up the car. They gave back my Garmin and said they have been calling her Nora. That's funny! It gives you directions in a woman's voice with a British accent, and apparently they found it charming. (Kim's Garmin is set to give you directions in Chinese. Not very useful, in my opinion, but she can see where to go by looking at the map on the little screen.)

So I guess Thanksgiving is really over now. All of our guests and their cars have gone, and Rich and I are alone with the cats again. I am so tired of turkey, too. Wow, I never thought I'd say that!

No comments :

Post a Comment